Junior Doctors in HCSA – the hospital doctors’ union has announced further walkout dates in March as part of the first strike in the union’s history. The period of action will now begin at 06:59 on the 13th March and end at 06:59 on the 16th of March.
This follows an unprecedented 97% Yes vote for strike by members on 75% turnout.
Announcing the additional strike dates, HCSA President Dr Naru Narayanan said:
“The government has gambled with patient safety for too long by ignoring the link between pay cuts and dangerous staffing levels. Junior doctors are taking matters into their own hands to secure a viable NHS.
“They have been pushed to the brink by day-to-day realities. Stress levels are unprecedented. Vacancies and enforced overtime are now routine. Staff are at breaking point and cannot deliver the care patients need. All this while real-terms pay has fallen by over 26%. You don’t have to be an expert to join the dots.
“The government needs to wake up from its complacency and start negotiating. They’re deluded if they think ignoring the situation will make it go away. If we don’t fix pay we will face an even bigger collapse.
“We need a fully funded pay settlement to prevent an exodus of doctors and stabilise our NHS.”
- In January HCSA Junior Doctor members in England voted 97.48% Yes for strike action on 74.76% turnout
- The ballot was of training-grade hospital doctors employed by NHS trusts in England
- HCSA previously announced an initial strike date of 15th March
- HCSA has extended the period of action to 72-hours, beginning at 06:59am on 13th March and ending at 06:59am on 16th March.
- HCSA – the hospital doctors’ union is the trade union and professional association for hospital doctors of all grades, across the UK.
- Member FAQs available here
HCSA’s leadership is available for further comment. Please contact the HCSA press team on 07711 405 128 / firstname.lastname@example.org